With vast golden beaches, towering cliffs, remote coves and tranquil estuaries, Cornwall boasts some of the most beautiful and varied coastline in the world. Add that sunrise on the South Coast and sunset on the Atlantic Coast are just a few miles apart, and you have the ideal destination for seascape photography. That's why, as a natural extension to my commercial work, I run Cornish Seascape Workshops. Exclusive courses for a solo individual (or pair), of any age or experience level.
Now in their seventh year, my Cornish Seascape Workshops have gained international recognition for quality and results. Based on the magnificent Atlantic Coast, my offering is unique. For unlike group tours, where participant numbers compromise individual tuition and aspirations. Or day trips, that lack location diversity and real in-depth insight. My One-to-One, residential course is solely about you, me, your camera and the sea.
You decide from a 2 to 5 day stay at your chosen time of year, and I will match the seasonal and tidal facets of stunning locations, with your own aims and aspirations. This ensures you are at the ideal place, at the right time, in a relaxed frame of mind and at one with your photography. The itinerary is based around light and tide. We will shoot the blue and golden hours of every day, with daytime locations and plenty of studio time in between. This makes for an "intensive photographic experience" as a regular guest puts it, hence 5 days is the longest course I offer*. While we will shoot at spectacular locations on both coasts, Crantock Bay is just down the lane and this is a real gem that affords an array of shooting aspects.
As for guidance. My 30+ year professional experience combined with my extensive knowledge of the coastal environment, will help extend your seascape approach. Concentrating on composition, manipulating Manual settings, filtering and lighting, I want to inspire you in capturing the image 'in camera'. Ultimately, the aim is for you to take home a varied body of work that extols Cornwall's coastal beauty through your new-found seascape skills.
Yet it's not about hard graft and formal instruction. I will ensure you thoroughly enjoy your course. So the welcome is warm, the attitude is relaxed and the premise is to have fun. This way you absorb much more. Especially when it comes to the studio and post processing. Camera Raw through Photoshop CC is unquestionably the best combination for fine art image rendering. Here my expert knowledge and undivided attention will guarantee you succeed in learning to refine your images to a gallery standard through my streamlined workflow.
All inclusive prices include your accommodation, food and workshop travel, making your workshop hassle free and excellent value. You will be driven in a Land Rover Discovery 5. Use 27" Retina Display iMac Pro's running Photoshop CC. Enjoy luxurious en-suite accommodation, and dine from a menu planned around exactly what you like to eat.
As for seasonal choice, here's my personal overview;
- March, April, May
- A time of regeneration with vivid colours, bright skies and warmer days. The sea takes on turquoise hues as sunlight strengthens and wild flowers carpet the cliffs. Invigorating, fresh and inspiring!
- June, July, August
- An often idyllic time when long, warm, and hopefully
sunny days are bookended by glorious sunrise and sunsets. Early starts and late returns make 2 or 3 days the ideal Summer workshop duration.
- September, October, November
- A wonderful time of year when dawns and dusks are often accompanied by breathtaking atmospherics. The beaches are quieter and the shortening days can be sultry and colourful.
- December, January, February
- The 'wild' season of lowering light levels and brooding atmospherics. Chilled, windswept beaches are all but deserted and a squall sweeping in off the Atlantic sees Cornwall at its best. A great time for short, adventurous shoots and longer studio sessions getting to grips with advanced post processing and printing techniques.
* Any course can be extended by two night's B&B to allow for travel connections and jet lag.