With vast golden beaches, towering cliffs, remote coves and sleepy estuaries, Cornwall boasts some of the most varied and spectacular coastline in the world. Add that sunrise on the south coast and sunset on the north are just a few miles apart, and you have the ideal destination for seascape photography. That's why in 2013, I moved here to widen my seascape horizons and nurture my love for this spectacular form of the photographic art.
As a natural extension to my commercial work, I combined this passion with my professional skill set to create Cornish Seascape Workshops - exclusive residential photography courses for a solo individual, or couple. Based at my home/studio in the coastal village of Crantock, this masterclass is unique. For unlike group tours where others can dilute tuition. Or day trips that deliver little in terms of location diversity and in-depth insight. My offering sees just you immersing yourself in your photography over a number of days. You chose for how long but on the course you will witness stunning locations, master new techniques to capture superb images 'in camera', and learn a flexible approach to post processing that refines your RAW files to the highest standard.
Now in their seventh year, my Cornish Seascape Workshops have built an international reputation for quality, results and value. Four facets set them apart:
- The focus is solely on you. We get the location to ourselves and back in the studio you have my undivided attention.
- I have over 40 year's experience of exploring Cornwall's coastline. So I can match tide and time to your aspirations and comfort levels, to ensure we are at the ideal location at the right moment.
- My award winning seascape approach is forged on expertise gained in a 30+ year career in London's advertising and design industry. I was at the birth of the digital studio and have been using Adobe Photoshop professionally since 1990.
CLICK HERE to view my photography website
- Every aspect of the all-inclusive package reflects my aim of offering excellence. So you will be driven in a Land Rover Discovery 5. Use 27" Retina Display iMac Pro's running Photoshop CC. Enjoy comfy en-suite accommodation in a large, modern house and dine from a tasty menu planned around exactly what you like to eat.
While we will shoot spectacular locations right around the Cornish coasts, Crantock Bay is just down the lane. The BBC Coast programme voted it Britain's Best Beach in 2014 and it was recently placed at the heart of a newly founded Marine Conservation Area. It is a true gem in the Cornish coastline that boasts a host of shooting aspects at all times of day, tide and season. Itineraries change to match the season with your aspirations but generally we shoot the blue and golden hours of each day, with daytime locations and plenty of studio time in between. This makes for an "intensive photographic experience" as one regular client puts it, so 5 days is the longest stay I offer. As for seasonal choice, here's my personal overview;
- March, April, May
- A time of coastal regeneration with vivid colours, bright skies and warmer days. The sea takes on turquoise hues as the sunlight strengthens and wild flowers carpet the cliffs. Spring strikes a balance between balmier days and shooting the blue hours at 'sensible' times.
- June, July, August
- This time of year can be very rewarding. Yet the attraction of warm, sunny days capturing glorious sunrise and sunsets, needs to be balanced with early starts and late returns. Daytime routines work around a break to catch up on sleep, making 2 or 3 days the ideal workshop length.
- September, October, November
- Peace descends and the shortening days can be sultry and colourful. Dawns and dusks are often accompanied by breathtaking atmospherics. A wonderful time of year and my busiest, so book early!
- December, January, February
- The wild season where brooding, stormy atmospherics can be magnificent. Our chilled, windswept beaches are all but deserted and an Atlantic squall sees the coast at its best. This is also a good time for longer studio sessions and getting to grips with advanced post processing and printing techniques.