With vast golden beaches, towering cliffs, remote coves and tranquil estuaries, Cornwall boasts some of the most beautiful and varied coastline in the world. Add that sunrise on the South Coast and sunset on the Atlantic Coast are just a few miles apart, then providing you know exactly where and when to go, you have the ideal destination for seascape photography. That's why, as an extension to my professional work, I run Cornish Seascape Workshops. An exclusive course for a solo individual (couple or pair), of all age and experience levels.
Since launching in 2013, my workshops have gained international recognition for quality and results. Based in Crantock on the magnificent Atlantic Coast, my all inclusive offering is unique. For unlike group tours, where participant numbers compromise individual tuition and aspirations. Or day courses, that lack location diversity and real in-depth insight. This one-to-one, multi-day, residential course focusses solely on you and your aspirations.
You decide from a 2 to 5 day stay at your chosen time of year, and I will match the seasonal and tidal influences with your own experience and comfort levels, to create a bespoke itinerary of stunning locations. We will shoot through the blue and golden hours of each day, with more daytime locations and plenty of studio time in between. This makes for "an intensive photographic experience", as one regular client puts it, hence 5 days is the longest stay I offer*.
My guidance is based on a combination of a 30+ year professional career, an award-winning seascape approach, and my extensive knowledge of Cornwall's coastal environment. Matching tuition to your current level, I will help extend your seascape compositions through manipulating manual settings, filtering and lighting. Inspiring you in capturing the image 'in camera' then considerately 'refining' them in post processing. Ultimately, the aim is for you to take home a varied body of work that extols Cornwall's coastal beauty through your new-found photography and processing skills.
Yet it's not about hard graft and formal instruction, it's about thoroughly enjoying the challenge. So the welcome is warm, the attitude is relaxed, and the premise is to have fun as we go from location to location. This way you absorb so much more. Especially when it comes to the studio. For while it may appear a bewildering maze of menus, sliders, tools and layers, Camera Raw through Photoshop CC is undoubtedly the best combination for fine art digital imaging. And through a step-by-step workflow, with my undivided attention, you will learn to produce stunning, gallery quality images.
All inclusive prices include your accommodation, food and workshop travel, making your stay hassle free and excellent value. You will be driven in a Land Rover Discovery 5. Use 27" Retina Display iMac Pro's running Photoshop CC. Enjoy luxurious en-suite accommodation, and dine from a menu planned around exactly what you like to eat.
As for seasonal choice, here's my personal overview;
- March, April, May
- A time of regeneration with vivid colours, bright skies and lengthening days. The sea takes on turquoise hues as sunlight strengthens and wild flowers carpet the cliffs.
- June, July, August
- An often idyllic time when long, warm, and hopefully
sunny days are bookended by glorious sunrise and sunsets. Very early starts and late returns make 2 or 3 days the ideal Summer course duration.
- September, October, November
- A wonderful season when dawns and dusks are often accompanied by mellowed atmospherics. The beaches are quieter and the shortening days make for 'easier' and longer stays.
- December, January, February
- The wild season of lowering light and stormy atmospherics, where an Atlantic squall sees Cornish coastal drama at its best. Extended 'golden hours', big waves and longer studio sessions make Winter ideal for the adventurous and more experienced photographer.
* Any course can be extended by two night's B&B to help travel connections and ease jet lag.