From vast golden beaches, towering cliffs, remote coves and sleepy estuaries, Cornwall boasts some of the most spectacular coastline in the world. Add that sunrise on the south coast and sunset on the north are just a few miles apart, and you have the ideal destination for seascape photography. That's why, in 2013 I moved here to nurture my love for this spectacular form of our art.
As a natural extension, I combined this passion with my extensive professional skills, to create Cornish Seascape Workshops - a unique, residential photography course. Based at my home/studio in the coastal village of Crantock, this workshop is unlike any other. Rather than a group tour, where others dilute the tuition. Or a day trip that delivers little in terms of location diversity and lasting results. Mine sees an individual, or couple, immersing themselves in their photography over a number of days. Witnessing stunning locations, they learn to capture incredible images and process RAW files to the highest level. Importantly, the one-to-one tuition is delivered to match their level of experience. Now in their sixth year, my Cornish seascape workshops have built an international reputation for quality, results and value. Four key facets set them apart:
- The focus is solely on you. There's no group, so we get the tideline to ourselves. In the studio you have my undivided attention. In terms of exclusive expert, one-to-one guidance, my workshop is unmatched.
- I have been exploring Cornwall's coastline for over 40 years. Based on this experience, I can match tide and time with your aspirations and comfort levels, to ensure we are at the ideal location at the perfect moment.
- My award winning seascape approach is forged on a 30+ year professional career in London's Advertising & Design scene. I was at the birth of the Digital Studio and have been using Adobe Photoshop professionally since 1990. Today, I preach capturing the image 'in camera'
, and refining it using Fine Art processing techniques that get the very best from a RAW file. CLICK HERE to view my photography website
- I strive to offer the best Seascape workshop available. So alongside the other facets, the all inclusive package reflects excellence in terms of your location transport, studio hard & software, accommodation and food. You will be driven in a Land Rover Discovery 5. Use 27" Retina Display iMac Pro's running Photoshop CC. Enjoy comfy en-suite accommodation in a large, modern house and dine from a menu planned around exactly what you like to eat.
While we will shoot at spectacular locations right around the Cornish coasts, Crantock Bay is just down the lane. The BBC Coast programme voted it Britain's Best Beach in 2014 and it was recently placed at the heart of a newly founded Marine Conservation Area. It is a truly wonderful place that boasts a host of aspects at all times of the day, tide and season.
Itineraries change to match the season and your aspirations. Yet generally, we shoot the blue and golden hours of each day, with daytime locations and plenty of studio time in between. This makes for an "intensive photographic experience" as one regular client puts it. Therefore 5 days is the maximum stay I offer. As for seasonal choice, here's a personal overview;
- March, April, May - A time of nature's regeneration with fresh colours, bright skies and warmer days. The sea takes on stunning turquoise hues as the sunlight strengthens and late May sees Thrift blossom spreading across the cliffs. Spring strikes a balance between brighter, warmer days and shooting the blue hours at 'sensible' times.
- June, July - This time of year can be hugely rewarding. Yet the attraction of warm, sunny days capturing vivid sunrise and sunsets, needs to be tempered with setting the alarm for 3.00am and returning home late. This means daytime routines work around much needed breaks to catch up on sleep. 2 or 3 days is the ideal Summer workshop length. I don't run workshops in August due to high visitor numbers.
- September, October, November - Peace descends and the days can be sultry and colourful. Dawns and dusks are often accompanied by stunning atmospherics, while coming at ever more 'sensible' times as the daylight hours reduce. A wonderful time of year and often my busiest, so book early!
- December, January, February - My favourite season where the brooding, stormy atmospherics can be truly incredible. The chilled beaches are all but deserted and an Atlantic storm sees Cornwall's coast at it's wildest best. This is also a good time for longer studio sessions and getting to grips with advanced Fine Art processing and printing techniques.